Traveller: Smart Guns
I saw a report recently about smart guns and how they are work. It was pretty cool. A thought I had about them shortly after the report was: why aren’t they in Traveller. So I’m adding them as an option. Here goes:
New Equipment Option
Smart Firearm (TL 8+). At the time of manufacturing, any firearm can become a smart gun. This prevents the gun from firing unless the designated person is holding the gun. At lower tech levels (TL 8-10), this represents a bracelet, ring or similar object being worn by the wielder that must be within 30 centimeters of the firearm. At higher tech levels (TL 10+), this represents DNA encoding to make sure the holder of the weapon is the designated person. When an authorized user of a Smart Firearm is deactivated, a new user normally must wait one minute before being activated. This modification triples the cost of the weapon.
New Skill Uses
Activating a user on a smart firearm: Education, 10-60 seconds, Easy
Activating a user on a smart firearm within 1 minute of a user being deactivated: Education, 10-60 seconds, Difficult
Making a smart firearm think the current user is the authorized user: Education, 1-6 seconds, Very Difficult.
What do you think?
Vehicles of War (PFRPG)
- RT @taramayastales: Exclusive: The Pentagon Has a Plan to Stop the Zombie Apocalypse. Good to know! foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/… 1 day ago
- I just spent 3 hours adjusting lightness levels on artwork for print. The Book of Heroic Races Compendium should be out soon. # pathfinder 1 day ago
- So now we are working on a @13thAge adventure that we think is really great. 4 days ago
- However, we took some time away from producing @13thAge books and learned what makes the game great. 4 days ago
- When it comes to @13thAge, I admit that some of @JonBrazerEnt's early products weren't the best. 4 days ago