During the pandemic, I’ve been running a number of games online over Fantasy Ground Classic. Since many are new to the platform, I’ve been sending out instruction each time to help new players get connected. So instead of typing it out again and again, I’m just posting this once and will be pointing new players to this page. GMs, if you are running convention games over Fantasy Grounds Classic and you have an Ultimate License (such as myself), feel free and point your gamers here so they can find out how to set up FG Classic for the first time. If you are playing an RPG over Fantasy Grounds Classic, follow these steps to set up the program and connect to the game:
- Goto the following site: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/FantasyGroundsClassic.php
- Choose Mac or PC. Download and install.
- Once you do that, you’ll get a window that asks for your license key at the top. Just click OK at the bottom without entering anything. This will let Fantasy Grounds run in “demo” mode.
- You’ll be asked to log in to your Fantasy Grounds account or create one. It’s free.
- A new window will open. Click “Join Game.” You’ll be met by two boxes. The first labeled: Username. Please type in your real name (first name only is fine). This makes it easy for a GM to refer to you during game (your character’s name will be elsewhere). The second is labeled Host Address. That information, you will get for registering for the game. Once you enter that information, click the Start button.
It is always best to do this a day or two (or more) before the game so you can find out if you have any issues installing the program and can figure out other options.
This should get you started in online gaming. Enjoy virtual game, and I hope to game with you at Gen Con Online, or any other online convention.
If you run games over Fantasy Grounds (Classic or Unity), I encourage you to check out all of our products at the FG Store. We are adding more products there all the time so check back frequently.